Get the facts about residential care homes.
Today, there’s a lot more to selecting the best elder care option than most people realize. An Adult Residential Care Home may be the best choice. Ask good questions and get the facts.
What is a residential care home?
Residential Care Homes are by definition built to be part of the neighborhood. From the street, they look just like family homes. Yet Care Homes – especially those with Expanded Care licenses – can offer people a full spectrum of care from minimal help with daily needs to end-of-life care.
What are the advantages of a residential care home?
Care Homes are intimate and include large private suites or semi-private rooms. Home cooked meals, housekeeping and laundry service are typically provided, and residents are free to have visitors, as well as to come and go as they please. Newer Care Homes are designed for residents who were accustomed to living independently, with all the comforts and privacy of their own home, along with the extra personal care they have come to require. If it is necessary for a loved one or parent to leave their own residence, adjusting to a Care Home can be easier than adjusting to a larger or more institutional setting.
What should I look for in a care home?
Look for residences that have live-in registered nurses on staff, as well as nurse aides. Low employee turnover is desirable because consistency in caregiving is an integral part of healthy aging and will greatly impact your parent’s happiness. Make sure the care home is licensed. An Expanded Care license, which will allow them to age in place without having to move to another facility, is always a plus.
Rate Your experience
To help you narrow down your choices when you visit different Residential Care Homes, rate the attributes on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best) and compare the results.
1. Caregivers are awake and alert 24/7.
2. You will be kept apprised of changes.
3. You will feel comfortable asking questions of the caregivers.
4. The staff is kind, respectful and patient.
5. There are private bathrooms.
6. The rooms are safe, spacious and comfortable with pleasant views.
7. The premises are safe and secure.
8. The location is easy for family and friends to visit.
9. The home has outdoor areas (patio/lanai) for residents.
10. The home looks and smells clean and has good lighting and ventilation.
11. The neighborhood is quiet and calm.
12. The available activities suit your parent.
13. The food will appeal to your parent.
14. They will transport your loved one to medical and dental appointments.